Friday, September 30, 2005

You Can Never Go Home

Today I wept for my city. Well, by the time you read this, the day I am referring to is yesterday.

You know I don't normally dwell on gloom adn doom, but today was just a little bit sad. It will be the last night I spent as a native New Orleanian. My hubby and I will sleep in our bare house (read about teh amazing movers in tomorrow's post) and we can hear a pin drop in the silent, empty house.

I loved this house, but I am ready to let her go.

Tonite we also visited my parents for the very last "We're just gonna stop by and visit for a few minutes" ever. From now on, all visits will be well-planned and anticipated. No more weekly granddaughter visits. No more spontaneous trips to teh mall with my mother. Of course, the malls here are totally out of commission from Katrina anyway, so...

Yes, I got a little emotional. As much as I travel, I've never lived more than 10 minutes from my folks, until now. I will miss seeing them weekly. And I know they will miss me too.

And I will miss my beloved city. Born and raised in New Orleans, I've never lived anywhere else (unless you count the past 6 weeks). While I am excited and ready to mvoe to Colorado, nothing can replace my beloved New Orleans.

Of course, New Orleans will never be what it was. Yes, it will be rebuilt, but it will never be the same. There's a saying that goes "you can never go home," and it rings true for no one more than those from New ORleans. Our memories of New Orleans are only that. Right now, we are left with fallen trees, stinky standing water and wrecked houses and businesses. It will take years to clean up the city and rebuild, adn yet it will never be teh same as the vision we hold in our minds. That vision is now a permanent memory.

I admire those who will stay. They harbor a certain passion, and I admire passion. All successful people have shared a passion to persistently follow their vision. But my passion takes me far from New Orleans. I have my reasons for leaving, but I admire those with teh heart adn the gusto to stay and rebuild. You have my respect and my prayers.

Of course, I shall return. Just tonight, we discussed the possibility of returning for Thanksgiving. It's only a couple of hour flight and we're back in teh land of Mardi Gras and crawfish (well, it will be oyster season for Thanksgiving, but somehow I doubt we'll get any good oysters this year). Lots of people are going to miss their oyster dressing to complement their thanksgiving bird.

If home is truly where the heart is, than you CAN go home as long as you follow your heart. Hats off to those who follow their heart right back to New Orleans to make her bigger, better and stronger than she has ever been. Me, I'll be following my heart clear acorss the country to a new, fresh start. I know I am not alone in that. But success is not about being part of the crowd anyway--it's about following the beat of your OWN drum. Which my parents have ALWAYS encouraged me to do. Which is why they can't blame me for leaving town, even though they'll miss me.

So my question for you today is this:

What area of your life deserves some adjustment to allow you to truly follow your heart instead of following the herd?

1 Comments:

At 9:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. i'm sorry for everything that has happened to you. I'll keep you in my prayers. I live in Colorado and I really love it. It's a beautiful place to be.
Kel

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Want to show your support for the info included in this blog? Make a contribution of any amount by clicking here.

<< Home