Wednesday, September 21, 2005

There Are No Coincidences

I started this post weeks ago....long before anyone was afraid of the big bad Hurricane Katrina (or the more recent Hurricane Rita). So it's a little dated, but a good message nonetheless. However, it seems like it happened a million years ago, even though it's probably only been 5 weeks.


Once again, my living room couch was "The Couch" today. Only today, there was something different about the person who poured out her heart to me and gave me the privilege of seeing her true self.

Today was the first time I had ever met her.

Several months ago, I had put my name in a drawing and apparently I won some free skin care products. This amazing woman / mother / wife / entrepreneur came to my home this morning to give me a makeover.

While she was here, she got some bad news about her child's recent medical testing. As expected, she broke down into tears (in my living room).

Since she had never met me before today, and since she was at my home in a professional capacity....to attempt to SELL me something no less, she was quite embarrassed that I had seen her in that light.

I, on the other hand, was honored.

It's so rare that we get to have REAL conversations with our friends, much less with total strangers. I had the privilege to see this powerful mother and to experience first-hand the love and compassion she has for her little girl. Of course, I would prefer that she not have to experience ANY of the hurt and fear that comes with the chronic illness of a child. My prayer for her daughter (and their whole family) is for health and exceptional well-being. But since she did have to receive the phone call, I was glad it happened while she was in my living room.

I suppose someone else might have been embarrased and not known what to do or say. But we all know exactly what to say and do if we follow our heart. That's what I did and I was able to listen to her and offer support. Imagine what could have happened if she were driving in her car when she got the news--I don't even want to think about that. No, I'm glad she was in the safety of my living room.

I admired this woman. And it reminded me that we can never truly know what another person is going through. But these moments when we get to see the vulnerable, exposed, authentic, real side of another human being, it's a truly powerful and humbling experience.

I am grateful to have shared that experience. I don't know if she'll ever call me again, or if she'll be too embarrassed. I hope she won't. I'd like to get some more of those skin care products, and maybe have a cup of tea with this amazingly strong woman. I could probably learn a thing or two about motherhood from her, among other things.

Today's Question:
Why are YOU afraid to let people see the real you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Want to show your support for the info included in this blog? Make a contribution of any amount by clicking here.

<< Home