Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The Theme of the Week....

Yes, I know everyone is thinking about, talking about and drooling about THANKSGIVING this week.

Unfortauntely, for some people this is the ONE time of year when they focus on what they are grateful for. How sad is that?

IF you can begin every day with an attitude of gratitude, you will rock your whole world and see amazing things begin to unfold. But if we get out of the habit of practicing gratitude, we can slip back into negativitiy. (It's a slippery slope.)

For example, yesterday morning, I was awakened by a POP! POP! POP!

It was steady, rhythmic, and quite annoying. Especially since it happened at 6:45AM and I normally sleep until about 8 or 8:30AM.

I lay awake in bed, wondering "What the heck is that noise?" Meanwhile...

POP! POP! POP!

I thought, it can't be my toddler banging her heels against the wall, beckoning me to come get her up. It's too rhythmic, and there are no vocal sounds accompanying it.

Too early for anyone to be hitting a tennis ball against the side of a nearby house. Plus, it was on a Monday.

POP! POP! POP!

Finally, it dawned on me. Staple gun.

My husband was in the garage (directly below our bedroom), using the staple gun to attach latticework to our newly built deck (he just got one of those fancy-schmancy stainless steel grills, and doesn't intend to walk too far out the back door to use it).

But why on earth did he have to start so early??!?!??!

As I started to get annoyed at being awakened before my prime, I stopped myself in my tracks.

Getting irritated isn't going to get me any more sleep. Plus it'll put me in a foul mood to start the day. Besides, I'd have to go all the way downstairs to chastise him, otherwise I'd be mad and he wouldn't know any different. Hmmm, I thought. What if I did something totally different?

What can I find in this situation to be grateful for?

It didn't take me long to realize that I had a long to-do list that day (with Thanksgiving company on their way) and getting up early gave me extra time to plug away at that long list.

That one second reframed my entire day.

So here's your question:
Thinking about an "icky" situation in your life right now, what can you find in that situation to be grateful for?

Now, back to dreaming about that turkey.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Want to show your support for the info included in this blog? Make a contribution of any amount by clicking here.

<< Home