Thursday, April 19, 2007

A Mind Like a Sponge (Sea Sponge, That Is)

Today, my husband Andy and I had the distinct pleasure of visiting our daughter's private Montessori school.

Well, actually, we weren't just visiting -- we were presenting.

We had offered to make a presentation to the class (3 and 4 year olds) about sea creatures. Andy brought some of his underwater video, and I taught the children interesting things about the creatures we were seeing.

It was extraordinary. I love my daughter's school, I love scuba diving, I love ocean critters, and I love teaching, so waht could be better?

(Of course, Andy and I never could have participated together in this way without the time freedom we now enjoy. Thank goodness for legitimate work at home business opportunities!)

Truly, I have almost no experience with children, except my own. My daughter Sally was only the 2nd baby I'd ever held, and I'd never changed a diaper until she was born.

But to see these kids, so intrigued -- so amazed to learn that no, sharks aren't really bad, and they will leave you alone if you leave them alone -- well, they just reminded me of little sponges, soaking up everything.

Perahps what's most interesting is that we marvel at how perceptive children are, but we don't realize taht as adults, we can be just as receptive.

If you think for one minute that yuo're not soaking up vast amounts of peripheral information while you're reading this, you are sorely mistaken.

Your mind is like a sponge.

You are soaking up countless bits of data, and you're not even aware of it.

Unlike small children, who are filled with wonder and amazement at the bits of info they're receiving, we've grown bored with all the stimulation.

But remember -- garbage in, garbage out.

You must judiciously guard what goes into your brain...otherwise, no fair complaining about what comes out in your outer reality.

Capisce?

OK, I'm off to bed now...oh no wait, you didn't think I forgot your QoD, did you?

How closely do you guard what goes into your mind? How many hours of TV do you watch per week? What do you watch? What percentage of what goes in includes violence, negative thinking, so-called news, and conflict? Can you see how this is reflected in your everyday reality?

Choose wisely.
:-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Want to show your support for the info included in this blog? Make a contribution of any amount by clicking here.

<< Home