Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Las Vegas Report: Sin City, Reviewed (Part 1)

So I thought I’d write and tell you how the trip is going so far.

Remember a few years back when Las Vegas was attempting to get more families and children into the city?

Well, gone are the days when Vegas wanted parents and tots here.

In fact, yesterday we visited Wynn – Steven Wynn’s new mega resort, (which is still under construction by the way, but the shops are in place) and you’ll never believe this –

Strollers are not allowed.

But considering we wanted to see what the fuss was all about, and what had Donald Trump all in a tizzy, wanting to create something bigger and better, my sister stood guard with the baby and mom and I ventured in.

The Wynn has some amazing stores – top notch designers (if you’re into that sort of thing). Unlike most hotels on the strip, there doesn’t seem to be a central theme at the Wynn (or if there was, it’s so obscure that I couldn’t determine it) and I didn’t think it was all that spectacular quite frankly. The Bellagio was much more impressive to me.

But we couldn’t figure out why no strollers? The construction seemed to be confined, and I’m sure there were elevators for handicapped access. So what gives?

My sister, being the inquisitive type, had to know.

The answer shocked us.

And it assured that we will never stay at the Wynn.

Ready for this? “Because it would be far too much of an inconvenience for our guests to have to walk around a stroller.”

Puh-leeze.

If they don’t think couples with $750 Peg Perego strollers like to shop and spend money, too, they’ve got another thing coming.

Anyhoo…

What else can I tell you about Vegas? Well, since this was my first trip, we must have walked through every single hotel on the strip (and every shop, too). My dogs are barking – I’m just not accustomed to walking for 8-10 hours a day. But I suppose it’s good exercise.

I can tell you that if you visit Vegas, don’t bother to stay at the Aladdin. My sister booked some super saver package (you’d have to get my family motto – it’s something like “why pay more if you don’t have to?”) and after seeing virtually every hotel on the Strip, I have 1 word for the Aladdin: TIRED. Old décor, same old shops, snoozy restaurants. We ate at the Gaucho place (Brazilian cuisine, where they serve the meats on a skewer at your table) and it was very good, but not spectacular.

If Andy and I return, we’ll definitely leave the kids (there’s really very little for them to do. The show Mamma Mia said we’d have to pay full price for my 4-month old to attend and sit on my lap, and if she made a peep, they’d ask us all to leave with no refund. Like I said, kids are NOT welcome here…) and we’ll stay at the Bellagio – warm, friendly staff, gorgeous accommodations, and a stunning ever-changing theme in the lobby botanical gardens (currently: Spring!) Also, we ate at the buffet last night and I swear, that was the absolute best Chilean Sea Bass I’ve ever tasted – it melted in my mouth. Also, the king crab legs were fabulous – if I didn’t know better, I’d swear they were flown in that morning. Duck, lamb, swordfish, sushi (fabulous salmon), ah, I could go on and on…

Is it time to eat again yet?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Want to show your support for the info included in this blog? Make a contribution of any amount by clicking here.

<< Home