Wednesday, July 25, 2007

A Cure for Boredom

First let me say, you're not going to like this.

In fact, you probably think I'm going to give you some fascinating thing to do, or to think about, as your cure for boredom. Or that I'll tell you to check out some new product of mine (or a friend's), to keep you busy and entertained.

Nope. Not even close.

Of course, just because you don't like the suggestion, doesn't mean it isn't effective. I'm doing the Master Cleanse right now (Day 3, woo-hoo!) and believe me, I don't like drinking a quart of salt water each day. But you can't argue with its effectiveness.

Fortunately for you, I'm NOT recommending that you drink saltwater to cure boredom.

Let me back up just a bit.

Until somewhat recently (the past couple of years), I used to think that boredom was a fate worse than death.

I even used to go so far as to say, "I'd rather be in pain than be bored."

So in order to avoid boredom, I would keep busy. Sometimes being busy meant doing things I liked. Other times, it meant subconsciously creating drama to keep me busy (i.e., not bored).

There was no boredom in my life. I just simply wouldn't allow it.

Then one day, I had the distinct opportunity (which I certainly didn't see as an opportunity at the time...it felt more like prison) to spend two full days with absolutely nothing to do.

I was bored.

And since I can't stand being bored, and I couldn't do anything (long story), I started to THINK.

And in my thinking, I searched for answers about my boredom. Why did I avoid boredom? What did it mean to me, to be bored? Why was it so terrible for me? How long has this been going on?

And the answers were quite shocking.

Apparently, I was avoiding boredom, because I didn't actually want answers to these very questions!

Creating diversions allowed me to avoid looking inward, and to avoid evaluating the relationship I actually have with myself!

SO what did I do?

(so glad you asked!)

Well, I wallowed in the answers for awhile. Pitiful, isn't it? Yeah, that was part of the wallowing, too.

Then I realized that I could actually choose to be "OK" with being bored.

As crazy or silly as it may sound, it was a lot like facing a fear.

Once I could face boredom, and experience it full-on, with nowhere to run except inside my own head and heart, then it lost its emotional charge for me.

And you want to hear the really strange part?

I haven't been bored since.

Seriously! I no longer fear being bored, therefore, I am no longer bored.

I also can NOW allow myself to have long periods of down time, without creating "activity" (positive or negative) to fill my time and stave off boredom.

Often times, when we feel stuck (or bored), it's because we've forgotten that we have the right to choose. Anyone who feels "stuck" anywhere in life has simply forgotten that they put themselves there, and that they can choose to stay there, or simply choose something else.

Since whatever we resist persists, we tend to create more of whatever we fear. Sometimes, just deciding to be OK with something (boredom, or whatever you're resisting currently), can make it go away completely.

It's really that simple, isn't it?

Here's your QoD:

Where are you feeling stuck or bored in your life? What has caused this? Can you see how YOU created the situation, and take responsibility for your past choices? Are you ready to make a choice now? Which will you choose -- to stay in the situation, or to choose to find an alternative?

Remember, nothing is permanent, so just choose! Go for it!

1 Comments:

At 7:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

amazing article! feeling all energized and full of life! Awayyyyy from boredom...hehe..

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Want to show your support for the info included in this blog? Make a contribution of any amount by clicking here.

<< Home