Sunday, July 15, 2007

You Can Never Go Home?

We leave for home tomorrow, and that's of course got me thinking again.

There's an old saying about "You can never go home." When I first heard it years ago, I didn't get it at all.

What do you mean, I can't go home? I hop on the I-10, get off at my exit, and within minutes, I'm there. That saying made no sense to me.

A couple of years ago, after Hurricane Katrina, I "got" what that statement means, for the first time. It means what was home to you at one point, is now in the past, and you can never go there again. Even if you went back to the physical place, it would never really feel the same to you, so you can never go there again.

We moved to Colorado, and when we "went home" for Christmas, it most certainly did not feel like home to me.

Now I feel like I'm "getting" this old axiom on a different level.

What's coming up is this sense that home is wherever I choose to create it. In other words, home is not a place, it's not even about who you're with -- home is a state of mind.

Whether I'm in Australia, Colorado or New Orleans, or anywhere else I choose to go, I can choose to be home wherever I am.

Now THAT'S power.

'Nuff said.

QoD: Where is it easiest for you to be "home"? How can you create that same feeling, wherever you are?

Go for it. (but don't go home)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Want to show your support for the info included in this blog? Make a contribution of any amount by clicking here.

<< Home