Wednesday, October 19, 2005

The Secret Power of the Takeaway?

Why does the takeaway work?

I mean, you would think that once you know the secret, it would lose its power...but it doesn't.

Why is that?

When you know how a magic trick is done, you don't want to see it again and again. No one went to see the Sixth Sense movie more than twice. No one wants to hear the same joke told three times in a row. And yet we are so completely drawn in by the takeaway.

Ah, I see a few of you are scratching your heads. Perhaps I should explain the term "takeaway."

If you're around my age (early 30s) you might remember it was called "reverse psychology" when we were growing up. If you were dying to tell someone something, adn they didn't seem too interested, you mgiht pretend like you werent' going to tell them in order to pique their interest.

It's also called "playing hard to get."

It's an attitude of indifference that honest-to-God, works every time.

It's not rude, it's not aloof, it's just....indifferent. Like saying hey, I'm secure with myself and what I've got, and if you want it great, adn if you don't then it's no skin off my nose. People of success know how to use the takeaway to their advantage.

You might not want a particular thing AT ALL but suddenly, when you find out you can't have it, it becomes irrisistible.

Works every time.

Some "anonymous" joker keeps posting comments to my blog. They aren't valuable comments, they're just plugs for (his? her? who knows, it's anonymous!) blog, but they always end with something like "It's nothing special, but you might like it anyway."

And even though I know exactly what this person is doing--how they are attempting to manipulate me--I still have a strong urge to click on teh link and check it out. It amazes me, even now.

Don't believe me?

Try it for yourself. The next time you're talking to a friend of your spouse try saying this:

"The most hilarious thing happend to me today--you'll never believe it!"

and when they ask (with mild to minimal interest): Really, what?

Just say in a friendly, matter-of-fact way:

"You know what? Now that I think about it, it isn't really that interesting after all. Nevermind, just forget I brought it up."

and WATCH what happens.

You'll be amazed. You'll say to yourself "by golly, Amy was right! This takeaway stuff really works!" and then you'll be wondering where else in your life you can apply it to get what you want. But PROMISE me you'll only use it for good and not evil, OK?

So here is your question of the day:

How can YOU use the power of the takeaway in a productive way to gain more of what you want in YOUR life?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Want to show your support for the info included in this blog? Make a contribution of any amount by clicking here.

<< Home