Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Are You Ready To Be A RockStar (Really?)

Today I had an interesting expeirence.

My 3 year old has a shirt (thank you Old Navy) that says "My mom is a rockstar."

My husband dressed her in this shirt today, with a pair of jeans. When I drove her to school, I walked in adn was surprised that all the teachers (plus another parents who was dropping off his kid) all commented on the shirt.

I was actually embarrassed.

Which told me that there was something to look at there.

For starters, I actually AM a rockstar.

Oh sure, I can't really play an instrument well, or sing worth a damn, but when it comes to what I do, I absolutely ROCK.

Ask anyone who's taken my classes. Ask anyone who's coached with me. Ask anyone who's spent more than 5 mintutes with me.

But what I realized today was that I have a tendency to "hide" behind hte internet. Doesn't everyone?

It's very easy for me to be a rockstar when I'm hosting a teleclass. Or when I'm coaching someone. Or when I'm speaking, or writing, or doing any of hte work I do.

It's even easy for me to be a rockstar when it comes to my kids -- I am an AWESOME mother, and I'm not afraid to show it. How do I know? Because my kids are happy and thriving, that's how I know.

But in "ordinary" life, I don't feel like a rockstar.

I even spoke at an internet marketnig event recently, and I said, "You know, I'm just a girl. I'm not a guru, I'm not a celebrity, I'm just a girl."

I've never heard a rockstar say that.

This incident this morning -- particularly the other parent, who kind of went on and on about the rockstar shirt ("wow, I've always wanted to meet a rock star. What band are you with? I'll bet you have some outrageous stories" etc etc etc). Really, I do. That guy has no idea.

I just think it's weird sometimes -- those of us who market online kind of feel like we have 2 lives.

We have this one life where we are rockstars -- we completely ROCK at what we do. People know us, we are sort of mini-celebrities. Even though we are really just letting the best part of us shine through -- that's all we're doing. And when we do that, we become rockstars.

But then in our "regular" life, we are just Amy next door, or Bob in my yoga class, or Jerry from the gym.

What's hte point? I'm so glad you asked. Thank you for bringing me back to the point. and your QoD, all rolled into one.

The point is, how would you react if you were wearing a t-shirt that said "rockstar" and people started to comment on it.

Would you explain it away?
"OH, I just liked the shirt. I'm not really a rockstar."

Would you discount it?
"What? This old thing? I didn't even know I was wearing it today."

Would you want to disappear? wishing you hadn't worn the shirt in the first place?

Or would you 'own' it?
"You're damn right I'm a rockstar. And don't you forget it."

Teh fact of the matter is....

YOU ARE A ROCK STAR.

and so am I.

So stop hiding and start living like you ARE a rockstar. Because you are. You are, you are, you are.

That's my new plan. To remember that I AM a rockstar, and to act accordingly (without doing drugs or trashing any hotel rooms, of course. But those are just my preferences -- you're free to be whatever kind of rockstar YOU choose.)

Rock on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Want to show your support for the info included in this blog? Make a contribution of any amount by clicking here.

<< Home