Thursday, July 26, 2007

Uncommon Common Beliefs

Last night, Eva Gregory had me out as a Guest Expert on her group conference call. There were some great folks on that call, and I was impressed by the intelligent questions they all asked.

I talked about a lot of things (well, you know me) around money mindset, but one topic in particular may be of particular note to you. This is NOT something I've talked about before, so here goes:

It's no secret that nearly everyone has some sort of limiting beliefs around attracting money.

If you've been working on identifying your limiting beliefs around money, you probably have already noticed some of the more common beliefs (you've seen this part before):

Money is the root of all ______.
Money doesn't grow on ______.
Rich people are _______.
A day late and a dollar ______.

Get the picture? these are the ones everyone talks about, so I'm not particularly interested in those.

But what about the "uncommon common" beliefs? The ones that a lot of people have, but nobody is really talking about?

I gave these examples from my own personal life:

- it's not OK to have a lot of money (maybe you can create a lot, but you can't hang onto it)
- easy come, easy go
- if I make lots of money, I won't fit in (my friends won't like me, I don't fit in with rich people, I don't want to act like rich people do, etc.)

You could practically feel the wheels turning as people took those in. In fact, Eva herself was moved to share some surprising "a-ha"s that she gained from looking at these, just during the call.

During the Q&A session, someone asked me to list some more "uncommon common" beliefs that I had released around money. Since there were only 4 minutes in the call, I invited her to read this blog and look for some answers.

But it occurred to me later -- really, I couldn't think of any more on the spot. And I thought that was kind of strange, so I started to take a look at it.

And I realized that when I "clear" something, it's gone for good. It's so gone, I can't recall what it was, unless I really look. That's why I couldn't think of anything to tell her on the spot.

Fascinating.

I would highly recommend that when you are working with limiting beliefs, you only use clearing techniques that completely erase the old beliefs.

In my mind, that's why affirmations are my least favorite form of mental shift. (Don't get me wrong, I use 'em, but not to change a limiting belief...only to introduce a new belief.)

Allow me to explain.

Changing a limiting belief looks like this:

Current belief example: My nose is too big.
New belief example: My nose is perfect for my face.

If you only use affirmations to release the old belief and assimilate the new belief, it's going to take a long frickin' time! Because every time you look in the mirror and say "My nose is perfect for my face" you'll be thinking "BS!" It feels like a lie at first.

Some teachers will tell you to persist, to keep going, eventually you will assimilate the new belief.

But I say, who wants to wait THAT long? Personally, I prefer lightning fast results! And if Deepak Chopra has taught me anything, it's how to employ the Law of Least Resistance. (That's why some people think I'm lazy. But I'm OK with that, because really, it's true.)

Now let's look at the faster way to shift the belief.

If you could completely erase the limiting belief "My nose is too big." so that it was gone, gone, gone, without a trace, how quickly do you think you could assimilate "My nose is perfect for my face" ?

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. FAST.

When I coach people, I teach them hyper-fast ways to completely clear limiting beliefs, to make it easier to assimilate the new beliefs. We also cover some ways to do this in the Lightning Fast Results course.

So when you clear your limiting beliefs, do it fast, and do it permanently. The trouble with affirmations is that the old ones can come back, which means even more work.

Now, if you're thinking "that sounds too simple" then you probably have a belief around "you've gotta work hard to get what you want" or "nothing comes easily" or "work hard to get ahead" or "nose to the grindstone" or a million others.

See? There they are again -- those uncommon common beliefs. They're everywhere, aren't they!

The way I see it, there are 2 ways to identify them (usually, you gotta know what they are before you can release them).

You can either look for yourself.
OR
You can pay someone to look. (also known as coaching)

Personally, I recommend both. I'm extremely good at looking for myself, so good that I find new ones almost every day. But as good as I am, I still work with a coach (in fact, every successful person I know does) and I love my coach because she sees my blind spots. I pay her a lot of money to look for me, and see what I can't see, so I can clear it and create massive breakthroughs.

Here's your QoD:
Do you have a favorite clearing method? Once you clear a block or belief, is it gone for good, or do you have to keep clearing it whenever it comes up? Do you tend to resist things coming easily to you?

Just allow it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Want to show your support for the info included in this blog? Make a contribution of any amount by clicking here.

<< Home