Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Magic of Words...In Manifesting Results

It's impossible to over-emphasize the power of language. "I can't do that" is often followed by the inability to do something. "I never win anything" almost never results in a grand prize drawing with your name on it. "Why does this always happen to me?" usually brings more of the same.

As Florence Scoval Shinn once wrote, "Your word is your wand."

And yet, how many of us think we want something, only to hear the exact opposite fall out of our mouth? How many of us keep puking our past into our future? Far too many, I say.

If you are truly ready to make changes in your life, you've got to “get” that it all starts in language. It’s time to become ultra-conscious about every single word that comes out of your mouth, if you want to create results that are different from whatever you've been getting.

Consider that every time you open your mouth, you’re creating something. Are you creating what you really want? Or more of what you don’t want?

For starters, don't talk about anything you're NOT going to do.

This encompasses a lot more than you may think. For example, don't say, "I'm starving" when what you really mean is "I'm hungry." I am amazed at the number of overweight people who keep saying over and over "I'm starving."

You must remember that your subconscious mind does not understand sarcasm, cannot take a joke, and only understands literal words.

So what happens when your subconscious hears "I'm starving" come out of your mouth? It clings to every fat cell, because it thinks you must be starving – your body shuts down and goes into starvation mode. You'll never ever lose weight if you keep saying "I'm starving" no matter how much you exercise, because you're telling your body to hold on to everything it's got.

"It's killing me" is another phrase worth eliminating. Interestingly enough, whoever started that saying is probably already dead. So if you don't want to follow them, stop saying it. I admit, this was a hard one for me to stop, being a child of the late 70s and 80s, when the expression was quite popular. Were you really "dying" to go to that concert? That's when you attract things like lethal car wrecks or freak accidents, when you're constantly saying you're "dying" to do this or that. I once read a story about a man who repeatedly said he'd give his right arm to make his sick daughter well. He was in a freak accident where he literally lost his arm. He got a big insurance settlement, which paid the cost of his daughter’s required treatments.

What you speak about, you bring about. Period.

So what are you talking about all the time? Do you even know?

The interesting thing is that we don't really HEAR at least 50% of what comes out of our own mouths. And when someone else repeats it back to us, we are likely to say "I never said that."

If you truly want to know what you say, record your part of a few telephone conversations, and transcribe them during playback. I guarantee, you’ll be shocked to hear what you actually said.

Once you become aware of what you are consciously creating through your every day language, the next step is to begin speaking about only what you want in your life.

If you’re creating something every time you open your mouth, why not create what you REALLY want?

If you liked this article, please click the "Digg" button below.




You can start by signing up for the new teleclass I'm co-hosting with Jeannette Maw. This 6-week class will kick your vibration up a few thousand notches, clear out old and musty limiting beliefs (faster than you can say "why oh why can't I ever get what I really want?") and we'll all have a heck of a fun time, too. Sign up for Vibration Overhaul here.

3 Comments:

At 11:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amy: I agree with your article. In teaching parenting classes, it is amazing when parents realize how many negative messages they give in any one day. I have written an ebook called "the Power of Encouraging Words" which helps families to build cooperation rather than threats, anger and rebellion.

Looking forward to your class.
Judy H. Wright, author, storyteller and trainer.
www.ArtichokePress.com

 
At 6:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,

Do you know zaadz.com? I see this as a better venue for you than this 'digg'.

Peace,
Steve

 
At 9:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I don't know zaadz but I will check it out. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Want to show your support for the info included in this blog? Make a contribution of any amount by clicking here.

<< Home