Friday, August 12, 2005

Fear of Public Speaking? "Not I" Said the Fly

Have you ever heard of Toastmasters?

It's an international organization dedicated to helping people improve their commnuication skills and public speaking. Which is a great service, since most people have a fear of public speaking that's stronger than their fear of death.

I happen to be president of my local Toastmasters chapter.

I gotta tell you, it's one of my favorite ways to give back to the community. I am a mentor for several members in our group, and to see them advance--to see the fear of speaking in front of a group actually dissipate over time is just amazing. I admit, I'm one of those freaks who has never been afraid to speak in front of a group. I was presenting to adults when I was 13 years old, and it's one of my great passions. But then again, I'm not exactly "normal."

Anyway, our Toastmasters group has it all: entrepreneurs, single moms, sales people, students, you name it. It's a great way for people to come together and empower each other through feedback adn constructive criticism. Plus, they're just fun people and I love being around like-minded individuals who aspire to be great. Anywhere you can find good people is a good place to be in my book.

So if YOU would like to improve your speaking and communication skills (and you can't afford to hire me personally), I highly recommend finding a Toastmasters club in your area. Big cities may have several clubs, so it's a good idea to visit a few clubs so you can join the one where you feel most comfortable. Dues are super-cheap (like $6 a month). You can also start a club at your office or within an organization.

What are you waiting for? Get crackin'!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Want to show your support for the info included in this blog? Make a contribution of any amount by clicking here.

<< Home