Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The #1 Reason Most People Stay Stuck

You'll appreciate this post. If nothing else, it will give you insight into why the world IS the way it IS.

It's true. The fundamental reason why most people never do what they say they really want to do, never create the life they only dare to dream about, and never get out of the rut they're stuck in is this:

In the Face of Possibility...Disaster Lurks

NOTE: This is a lesson I learned from Landmark, so I must give credit where credit is due. I don't believe I'm causing any copyright infringement with this post (but if I am, I'm sure I'll hear from Landmark's legal team, haha! and then this post will be gone forever...)

At any rate.

As I said, in the face of Possibility, Disaster lurks.

In other words, have you ever noticed that every time you set out to do something, the first thing that happens is NOT THAT?

For example:

this morning I was completing my morning pages (if you don't know what morning pages are, you absolutely deserve to get a copy of Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way. Seriously, go order it right now.) and I always create my day as part of this process. So today I decided my intention was PRODUCTIVITY. Today I would accomplish a whole list of things I've been putting off. As I was writing, I was definitely inspired by this possibility.

So then what happens? I finish up my morning routine, and I am in total breakdown mode becuase of the P-word. Procrastination. (Incidentally, my book The Success Method gives you lots of ways to kill procrastination and get free of its evil grip, but I was in no mood to take my own advice this morning).

So I'm all mopey and not wanting to get started on any of the things I committed to complete today.

Fortunately, today is Tuesday.

My masterminding call snapped me right out of procrastination-mode and into action. In fact, I've alreayd accomplished 3 of the 4 major goals I committed to for the WEEK! and I'm working on the 4th as soon as I finish this post.

But I was keenly aware that as soon as I created that possibility, the first thing that showed up was, well, NOT it. But breakdowns are our access to breakthroughs and I pushed through it to achieve phenomenal results today (and it's only 6pm, I'm not nearly finished yet!)

You'll probably notice this in your own life.

Maybe you were daydreaming about what would life be like if you took a Carribean vacation? and then your car breaks down, so you're suddenly short of cash.

Maybe you were thinking about patching up a relationship and being willing to compromise, and then the other person does something unforgivable.

Maybe you woke up this morning and decided to eat right and make healthy food choices. Then you got to the office and there were donuts in the morning and birthday cake at lunch.

Catch my drift?

I thought you would. Don't ask me WHY it works that way, I only know it does. So here's the moral of the story:

If you can recognize when it's happening (when disaster is trying to squash your newly created possibility)...then you can choose to push through the break down and create a massive breakthrough.

Capisce?

Here is your QoD:
What stops you? Where do you just "quit" and go back to teh drawing board (or give up entirely)? What would be possible if you could actually push through that into the unknown?

Go for it !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Want to show your support for the info included in this blog? Make a contribution of any amount by clicking here.

<< Home