Tuesday, June 06, 2006

This Is Extremely Uncomfortable...

I wouldn't say I'm out of my comfort zone right now, but I'm definitely uncomfortable. Right now, I'm posting this on my new MacBook, which I understand is supposed to be the meanest laptop available (at hte moment). I just bought it last night, and while yes, I did understand there would be a learning curve, I think I didn't really expect it to take more than an hour.

So I'm a little frustrated! As most of you know, I am used to traveling at the speed of light and I move through my to-do list like a freight-train, especially when it comes to maneuvering my way around a computer.

However, the switch from PC to Mac has slowed me down to a snail's pace.

I don't like slow. I like fast. So I'm very uncomfortable right now.

I can't find my files. I can't navigate quickly. But man, does this thing reboot fast! My husband is quite jealous, as apparently my processor-thingy is even faster than his. But don't feel too badly for him, I'm sure he'll get whtaever tht next latest, greatest thing is.

I'm also uncomfortable because it's hot. We froze our AC condensation pipes last nite, which means we had to keep the air off for most of hte day and it's toasty outside. Being from NEw Orleans, I normally wouldn't complain about heat without humidity, but I have an excuse.

I'M PREGNANT. Yep, three months and counting. So my patience is dwindling and I'm on a short fuse today.

But of course there's a lesson in that. I had the opportunity to stay in a funk all day (not my family's first choice, by the way) or take my own advice from The Success Method. Sometimes, the high road can actually be fun.

When life gets me a little stressed, I like to bug-out. Stop taking myself so seriously. So I rounded up the troops (meaning, my toddler and hubby - as most of you know, hubby works from home as well, so we're togehter pretty much 24/7, another feat we could not accomplsih wihtout using the wisdom in The Success Method.

I collected my family and swept us all off to the pool for a couple of hours. Got to beat the heat (and the AC has thawed enough to re-engage by the time we got home, WHEW) and have some fun and get a little sun. Isn't this the life? And when I returned to my new shiny MAC, I was relaxed and ready to take on the world.

It also helped to learn a little something about myself. I like being independent. While I am capable and willing to ask for help, I don't like to make a habit out of it ;-) so this not knowing what to do thing with hte MAc had me stressed for that very reason.

Now that I can see that, I know exactly how to deal with it. Mmmm, isn't self-awareness a wonderful thing?

So your question of the day is this:
What is your normal method of dealing with a highly stressful stiaution? Do you run and hide? Do you take a break? Do you freak out? Do you lash out at those around you? Do you pig out? What would happen if you chose a different strategy next time?

Now go practice!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Want to show your support for the info included in this blog? Make a contribution of any amount by clicking here.

<< Home