Thursday, July 05, 2007

Western Australia, aka the End of the Earth

I’ve always heard the expression, “I’d go to the ends of the earth for…” but I never really knew what that meant. If the earth really is round, how can we get to the end?

But today, I think I actually went to the end of the earth.

Standing on a small cliff at Quinn Beach in Western Australia, a bit north of Perth, I felt like I was standing at the edge of the world.

It felt a bit like unlimited possibility to me – nothing but sky and water and horizon, as far as the eye can see. No islands, no ships, no surfers – I don’t think we can get any closer to seeing God.

As I sat in the sand and dug holes with Sally, I looked at a teaspoon of sand. I noticed how many granules were in that tiny teaspoon, and I was wondering how many teaspoons would make up the beach I was sitting on. How many more were hidden under the waves? How many beaches, with how many granules of sand in the world? Mind-boggling.

Then I looked out onto the water. How many molecules of water in one teaspoon of the Indian Ocean? How many shades of blue could I spot? How many waves crested and broke, crested and broke? How many fish in its waters? How many sunsets had it seen?

The sheer abundance of the unknown – the abundance of possibility – was simply awesome to me.

I really “got” a closer look at “unlimited” and at “possibility” and “having it all.”

Mmmm, ain’t life grand?

Australia is phenomenal – every time I come here, I feel like I’m coming home. Seeing Perth (and surroundings) has been a spiritual experience for me. Extreme beauty and rural simplicity…kangaroo crossing signs…outrageously friendly folks…and otherworldly charm.

Mmmm-mmmm-mmmm, I’ll have another helping, please.

QoD: Do you regularly take time to commune with nature, to get a sense of connectedness, of freedom and of unlimited possibility?

If you haven’t done that lately, why not right now?

Go for it!

1 Comments:

At 8:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amy...

I love your blog.

The wisdom in your posts are so delicious that I just gobble them up.

There is only one thing missing.

Pictures!!!

If you add pictures, then we too could be there right with you on your Journeys (like Perth)

peace

Koorosh

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Want to show your support for the info included in this blog? Make a contribution of any amount by clicking here.

<< Home