Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Do You Snooze and Lose?

Something very interesting happened yesterday. I took it as a great reminder for myself, and an opportunity to teach a valuable lesson to my preschooler.

A few years ago (maybe 3 or 4 years), a friend of mine was telling me about an idea he had for a children's book.

I thought it was a great idea -- it was about a yawn that starts out innocently enough, and then travels from person to person.

Recently, I asked him if he had done anything with it. He said no, he had given up on that dream.

Yesterday, I was at Sam's Club and I always browse through the children's book section to see what's new.

Can you guess what I saw?

I saw a children's book about yawns...how they travel from person to person (only in this book, it was from animal to animal). It was an adorable book, but it was NOT written by my friend.

Some guy in England published the book in 2006. It was now making its first U.S. edition in 2007.

Too bad my friend won't get any of the blessings that come with publishing a successful children's book -- but then again, he didn't take the steps necessary to fulfill his dream.

Have you ever had a wonderful idea, done nothing about it, and then seen your idea for sale on TV or elsewhere?

If you're like me, your first reaction was probably: "Hey! That guy STOLE my idea!"

But the fact of the matter is that THAT GUY took action, and YOU did not. HE was commmitted to the fulfillment of his vision. You were not.

Kind of a tough pill to swallow, but completely true.

I took this opportunity to teach my 3 1/2 year old a lesson about taking action on her own great ideas. She then informed me that she had a great idea, one that involved her and ice cream. That's OK, I know the lesson was sinking in.

QoD:

What great idea have YOU had lately that you're not taking action on? What 3 steps could you take TODAY to move you closer toward fulfilling your vision for this idea?

Just go for it!

2 Comments:

At 10:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get this ALL the time from clients who think I shared their brilliant idea with someone else! (Because they'll find someone else doing something with it shortly after they start talking about it.)

I think it's our connection with each other that when one person gets an idea, it's available to all of us.

So we better act on our inspiring ideas promptly or someone else will! I don't mean that in a fear-based way, but a "Universe likes swift action" way.

I have two LOA success story e-books in my computer (they exist no where outside of it, mind you) that got deflated after my coach told me she was working on something similar (this was years ago) and have since seen so many renditions of a deliberate creation success story book that the wind's left my sail for it.

But I still want someone to take my idea of an Easy button turned into a Secret Genie button that says "As you wish" or "Your wish is my command" or something similarly affirming. Any takers? lol

 
At 6:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

the other day I listened to Dr Robin on Oprah and Friends tell a caller that very often it is not the person who invents a product or service that become the most famous, but rather the person who puts things out their in the public eye that gets the notoriety -- the payoff!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Want to show your support for the info included in this blog? Make a contribution of any amount by clicking here.

<< Home