Thursday, September 08, 2005

Shopping For Your Future?

Did it ever occur to you that unless you are actively planning your future, your present will continue the same manner indefinitely?

Bottom line: if you're not happy with your life the way it is RIGHT NOW, today, what are you willing to do differently to create a new future?

I've been thinking a lot about creating futures, as you can imagine. I mean, that can happen to you when your entire city gets wiped out because of Hurricane Katrina (which I have given the nickname HurKat.) It's all about future, baby! The past is the past is the past. No point wallowing in what was. Do I have fond memories? Absolutely. Do I wish HurKat had petered out before it hit land? Of course. Am I willing to waste the only thing I really have--right here, right now--in exchange for "what ifs" and "why me's"? No way.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not belittling the lives lost, the damage, or the pain and heartache this natural disaster has caused for so many. It's real and it sucks. But that doesn't mean I have to get stuck in the dark brooding place of lost opportunity.

I have a choice.

We all have a choice, actually. Every time something goes awry, we can choose to wallow pitifully in our own stories, or we can create something amazing.

Right now, you are creating your future. And I am creating my future. And that guy who lives across the street from you is creating his future. All right now.

The problem is that most people don't consciously determine what they want, so their future looks remarkably like the present. Which may or may not be a good thing.

I'm all about the future right now. I'm house hunting, I'm developing a killer new product to share my knowledge and skills with people just like you - people who are searching for a better way to live, and a way to create success and balance.

Is it easy? Not always. I mean, I've never lived anywhere except New Orleans. I was born there, I went to school there (grade school, high school, college AND graduate school). I got married there. Bought my first home there. My daughter was born there. My parents and sister and brother live there. I mean, lived there.

Now I'm embarking on a whole new experience. We're done with the coastline, I'll tell you that. Colorado is beautiful. Not sure whether I'm ready for the cold weather or not, but time will tell. All I know is that I am ready to move forward and walk away from the past. And I pray that the other residents of New Orleans, Biloxi and all the areas affected by HurKat can begin to rebuild their future, beginning today.

So my question for you today is this:

What are you willing to walk away from (in your past) to create a future that's worth daydreaming about?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Want to show your support for the info included in this blog? Make a contribution of any amount by clicking here.

<< Home