Saturday, September 10, 2005

There's a Hole in the Roof?

Hurricane Katrina Update:

Our neighbor has procured a pass that allows him in and out of New Orleans (don't ask how.) Being the wonderful neighbor that he is, he agreed to check on our house. Apparently one of the A/C vents blew off hte roof (it's sitting in our back yard he said) so there is a hole in our roof. We most likely got water in our garage (I shudder to think about what is lurking in our garage - getting it cleaned out was not a high priority, so it is loaded with junk). Not sure about any internal damage, and not sure whether our car was damaged. Our pool is nasty (to be expected) but everything else appears to be intact.

I spoke with my parents today (they are in their mid-70s). They're patching up teh roof and performing some other repairs. They also live in JEfferson Parish. Mom says Jefferson is going to become the Gateway to New Orleans, to rebuild the city. Mom says new advancements are made daily - street lights are going on street by street, a few more each night. The town is eerily silent. The Lowe's Home Improvement store is opened, operated by employees from other parts of hte country. Power is coming back on, too. Mom said they spent all day yesterday cleaning out their refrigerator adn freezer - said the smell was horrifying and others in teh neighborhood are just leaving the whole fridge outside on the curb.

The good news we got today is that the airport is scheduled to open on September 19th. We miss our kitties terribly and are looking forward to seeing them again soon. I'm sure their foster family is probably ready to hand them off as well, although Tabasco (the alpha cat) is warming up to them a bit. I sure do miss those little furballs. I have a feeling they'll be dining on seafood adn tuna for their first few weeks after being reunited with us.

My folks are sad to see us leave. They plan to stay in Metairie and watch the area get rebuilt. Not me, thanks. One nasty hurricane is enough. Considering how much we travel, and the fact that our 19-month old is only (hopefully) the first of several kiddies for us, I'm not looking forward to any more evacuations. Bye-bye coastline. We'll come back adn visit during the 6 months that aren't part of hurricane season.

As for us, I gotta tell you - Colorado is where it's at. This place is stunningly beautiful - I've never seen so much sky in my life! Every glimpse is a panoramic view. Today we went to the Castle Rock Art Fair, and I am inspired to return to photography. Maybe you'll see me in my own booth next year, showcasing my underwater pix. So much of my creative energy has been poured into my writing lately that I've missed out on shootnig pix. Time to get back in the groove, and there's plenty to shoot up here in Colorado.

Part of me wonders how I've lived my entire life and never seen this part of thge country. Then I think of so many New Orleanians who've never been outside of the city (until now). I wonder how many will stay and rebuild, knowing it could all be wiped out again in a year or two...and how many will follow suit with us and explore new territory.

I'm feeling quite wistful today.

But this place - there's just something about it. It's a special place. And it feels like home to me. So we'll pack up a UHaul and take what we can fit and drive it cross-country (something else I've never done) and we'll stake a claim out West. Even though this area was settled a couple hundred years ago, I still feel like a pioneer. It feels good. A little shaky to leave behind all that I know, but I am following hte promise of a brighter future.

My question for you today is:

Are you willing to voluntarily leave behind your life as you know it and follow the promise of a brighter future? Or would it take a natural disaster to shake you out of your rut adn get you thinking differently?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Want to show your support for the info included in this blog? Make a contribution of any amount by clicking here.

<< Home