Monday, March 26, 2007

Can You Help Me Plan a Trip to Australia?

My husband and I are planning an extended trip to Australia, and even though this is our second journey to the land down under, we are having quite a time.

It's not easy to plan a visit to see an entire country.

It reminds me of that Eddie Murphy movie, "Coming to America." The line is something to this effect: "America? It's such a big country. Where shall we go, New York or L.A.?"

Last trip, we visited Sydney (of course. Loved it!), Melbourne, Brisbane, Cairns, Townsville, and the Gold Coast. A chunk of that trip (10 days) was spent diving the Great Barrier Reef and the Coral Sea.

This time, we want to hit all the stuff we missed last time: Ayers Rock, Alice Springs, Perth, perhaps Darwin, perhaps Kangaroo Island, New Zealand, and of course we plan to return to our favorite city, Sydney.

After pouring through websites and travel books, I decided it might be a good idea to chat with some people who live there, or who have visited at least once.

So I'm checking with my friends -- if you know Australia, would you help me plan my trip?

I'd love to hear what cities and attractions you feel are a MUST EXPERIENCE in the land down under.

Don't let me miss out on anything spectacular -- even if it's just your favorite pub or restaurant.

Shoot me an email and let me know which cities and attractions I absolutely MUST see or do while in Oz and if you send me a valuable tip, I'll return the favor by sending you a token of my appreciation. I'm especially interested in hearing from anyone who lives in Australia (or has lived there), or someone who's visited multiple times.

And your QoD is this: Do you fully use your resources when you require assistance? For example, I could plan this trip on my own, but I know I'll get better results and do it faster and easier if I reach out to my netowrk of friends and ask for help. Are you more likely to do it all on your own, or ask for help?

If you've been attemping to do it all on your own, (as Dr. Phil would say), how'w that working for ya?

What would it take for you to reach out and take a risk? To rely on another person? To show your vulnerability?

Just go for it!

P.S. only 3 spots remaining for the Lightning Fast Results Law of Attraction course!

3 Comments:

At 12:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

G'day Amy!

Firstly, welcome! You've already been to Australia, so you have an idea what to expect. You're coming here in our winter, so be warned that you will need warm clothes, especially if you're going south. I come from near Kangaroo Island - you will find it very cold, extremely windy and wild. In fact, expect anywhere south of Brisbane to be cold and wet, with patches of sunshine during the day and cool nights which may drop down to freezing depending where you go. In the south, the wet season is in winter. In the north (Brisbane, Darwin) the wet season is in the summer.

You haven't said how long you're staying, so that makes it difficult to tell you what to do. There is so much - as you said, it's a bit like me saying I'm coming to America, where should I go? What do you like to do?

Uluru (Ayers Rock) should be on your list if you have time, but it is a long way from any capital city. Also, it will be very cold (actually below freezing) at night because it's in the desert.

In winter we have snow in the mountains in New South Wales and Victoria, also in Tasmania. Adelaide (South Australia), Melbourne (Victoria), Hobart (Tasmania) and Perth (Western Australia) will have day temperatures of 8-18 degrees Celcius.

If you like wine, we have wonderful vineyards in the Barossa Valley (SA) and the Hunter Valley (NSW).

There are some of the best beaches in the world in Queensland, Gold and Sunshine Coasts. There are magnificent rainforests such as the Daintree north of Cairns, and also more in Tasmania and Victoria.

There is just so much to see and do - as an Aussie, I doubt I've even seen 1% and I travel quite a lot.

Please post more information and I'll see what else I can suggest.

OzGirl

 
At 10:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Amy

Greetings from Sydney, Australia !!

Find following a SPECIFIC list of some things to do in Sydney:

Climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge:
http://www.bridgeclimb.com

Take a Sydney Harbour Cruise:
http://www.matilda.com.au/

Hire a car and do a daytrip down to beautiful Wollongong (1 hour South of Sydney)via the Coast Road:
http://www.tourismwollongong.com.au/
http://www.grandpacificdrive.com.au/

Take a trip up the top of Sydney's tallest building (and maybe have dinner ??):
http://www.sydneytoweroztrek.com.au/

Visit Bondi Beach:
http://www.bondivillage.com/

Have a pie at Harry's Cafe De Wheels (best pies in Australia):
http://www.wcities.com/en/record/,114657/83/record.html

Trust this assists, let us know more details about what your preferences are re: accommodation/food etc and can make some very good recommendations

 
At 11:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,

I moved to the west coast from the east a couple of years ago and I just love Western Australia. I have not been to Broome yet, but have been as far north as Exmouth. The Navy Pier there is one of the top rated shore dives in the world. The Ningaloo Reef starts at Exmouth and goes south past Coral Bay. Coral Bay is sublime. One of the special, special places on this planet.April to June is the whale shark season on the Ningaloo, so I am hoping to get up to snorkel with them this season. South of Coral Bay is Shark Bay, a world heritage area. Monkey Mia is the drawcard here with the daily feeding of the dolphins. Fascinating landscape and toatally undeveloped with the tourist side of things. Allow at least a week to check out Exmouth to Shark Bay.
Then next stop Perth where I live which is an easy going relaxed city, with Fremantle, Subiaco and Northbridge for coffee, restaurants and pubs. A few hours south is the Margaret River area, home of many of Australia's top wines.
Enjoy, Neil

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Want to show your support for the info included in this blog? Make a contribution of any amount by clicking here.

<< Home