Saturday, September 29, 2007

Word Games and Emotional Charges

I am always fascinated by how we can be touched in such different ways by a single thought or message. It's so interesting to me how our own personal filters can bring us a dramatically different perspective on virtually any issue.

You've seen this before -- just think of any time you've had a misunderstanding with someone over something you said and meant one way, but the other person took it to mean something completely different.

But word games aren't just key in determining how we relate to other people -- they can also unlock secrets and reveal hidden limiting beliefs.

Here's an example.

I consider myself to be fairly lazy.

What comes to mind when you imagine a lazy person?

Do you think of a homeless person or a millionaire relaxing on vacation?

Is the image you see "yucky" or pleasing?

Do you see a dirty bum sleeping on the street, or a well-groomed person taking a nap?

Do you imagine an overweight person watching TV, or a whole family hanging out and smiling?

A lot of -- well, probably MOST -- people have a negative charge tied to the word "lazy." Which is perfectly understandable. From a very young age, we're taught to work hard to get what we want. Work, work, work, it's all about work it seems.

Personally, for ME (a former control freak, perfectionist and workaholic), laziness offers me a welcome freedom I had never experienced until I let go of my obsessive need to control every single detail of my life.

Once I learned to be lazy, my whole life got easier, and now I can truly embrace the idea of laziness. The word/idea "laziness" holds no negative charge for me, only positive, good-vibe feelings.

I love being lazy. I own being lazy. I thrive as a lazy person.

For me, being lazy means I attract more money, resources find me more easily, and I
have more peace and joy in my life.

Of course, it wasn't always like that. I used to think the harder I worked, the more I would achieve.

Now I realize that the harder I work, the harder I work.

What do YOU believe about hard work?

Take a minute and think about it honestly -- you just might uncover something that's been holding you back from achieving what you really want.

You can actually use this same technique to uncover your hidden feelings around any word that you suspect has an emotional charge attached to it.

Here's another example.

One of my favorite words is POWER. Just thinking or saying that word conjures up deliciously rich images for me, and I instantly feel more confident and strong.

But if you asked someone in a 3rd world country what comes to mind when they think of "power" they would most likely have an entirely different perspective (one that's not nearly as favorable as mine).

And hey, you don't have to travel to the 3rd world to get a different perspective. Talk to someone who has a tyrant of a boss, someone wtih an overly-controlling spouse, or someone who was abused and I'm sure they'll have a perspective on POWER that's vastly different from mine.

This is what I mean by the personal filters that are always at play, giving us a unique viewpoint from other individuals.

Fortunately, we can change the filters. We can reprogram and hit the backspace key to rewrite beliefs that will support us.

Actually, that's my specialty. It's exactly what I do when I coach people in my Power Coaching program.

QoD: What do you really want right now? Ask yourself what you think about someone (not you) who already has that in abundance. For example, if it's more money you want in your life, you might ask yourself what comes to mind when you think of "rich people"? Take an honest look, and you might be surprised by what you find!

Go for it -- explore and clear the way so you can get what you REALLY want!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Want to show your support for the info included in this blog? Make a contribution of any amount by clicking here.

<< Home