Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Another Example of Choice

Lately, my work has been demonstrating an essential message, for me and my clients, and it’s a simple one:

YOU are ALWAYS at CHOICE.

There’s no exception, no asterisk, no footnote. We are always at choice. All the time.

We’re even at choice when we refuse to take responsibility for our choices. When we refuse to see our choices, and we insist on staying stuck and suffering.

This lesson was made evident to me once again while skiing. Matter of fact, it’s so frickin freezing outside (12 degrees F I think) I’m in the lodge taking a break. Gotta love wireless internet, right? My husband is in the process of migrating my whole blog from Blogger.com over to Wordpress and he asked me to post a test. Since I’m not a fan of wasting time (you KNOW how I love leverage), I figured I would post something of value rather than a simple test we’d end up deleting.

So here goes.

My husband had a wipeout last Wednesday when we were skiing, and turns out he had whiplash. So I’m skiing solo at the moment. Which means I suddenly have to be responsible for choosing which lift to ride, which run to take, which way to turn, and how fast to go. We normally always ski as a couple, and he is the navigator…which means I get to kick back, turn off the ol’ brain, and just relax and ski.

But today I’ve got to exercise my choices, and to be responsible for my choices.

The 2nd run I took was fun…until I reached the end of the grooming cat tracks and wiped out. When I went to stand up, I sunk into at least a foot of powder. Whoops! I noticed the run I was headed toward was NOT groomed so I headed back toward the nearest groomed run. And I also noticed that there was a ton of blowing snow, so I needed to be aware of that, be responsible for my choices, and take care of myself today.

Some people LOVE powder - my buddy John Ooms up in Sun Valley, Idaho calls them “powder hounds.” But I’m not one of them. I feel like I have too little control (imagine that — a recurring issue for me!) and I go too slow and I can’t turn and blah blah blah it’s not fun. and why would I ski something that isn’t fun??? No way, Jose.

So if you like powder, you get to choose powder. And if you like fresh groomed slopes (which I do) then go for it.

And when you’re totally comfortable in what you choose, you never, ever, ever need to explain yourself to anyone, try to convince anyone of anything, or otherwise feel the need to justify or rationalize your actions.

Harumph. And that’s all I have to say about that.

Now I’m going back on the lift, time to find the sexiest, most groomed slopes I can find in this brrrrrrr blowing snow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Want to show your support for the info included in this blog? Make a contribution of any amount by clicking here.

<< Home