Monday, December 05, 2005

It's All in the Asking

You know the old adage, "Ask and you shall receive." Sure, everyone's heard that one.

And yet it seems that nearly every day I talk to someone who wants something, but won't ask for it. Many of these "won't ask" cases are (unfortunately) women.

But how often could we HAVE what we DESIRE if we could only muster the courage to ASK ?

For example, as many of you know, I just released The Success Method. Someone recently asked me "Amy, how did you get that celebrity endorsement from Joe Vitale?"

They were pretty surprised when I told them: "I asked."

Sure, it's surprising. We convince ourselves that getting what we want must be difficult. We tell oursevels we have to "earn it." It's the same reason so many financially successful people once struggled horribly. Joe Vitale himself was actually HOMELESS many years ago. As was Andy Andrews. And many more.

Was I intimidated asking Dr. Joe Vitale to review The Success Method? OF course I was! That nagging voice, crying out "What? Little ol' me?" But I had to get a grip and remember the Big Me that has great things to accomplish here. The Big Me told the little me to "take a hike!"

After all, what is the worst Joe could have done? Only about 4 things the way I see it:

1. He could laugh at me (well, not really because I was emailing him. It's hard to laugh at someone in an email, even with "lol.")

2. He could ignore me (which he did at first, except that I kept emailing him every couple of days, because I knew if I was persistent, he would finally at least answer me, even if it was to tell me to bugger off).

3. He could tell me to bugger off. Which I really didn't expect, since I've read his books and I'm on his emial lists and honestly, I almost feel like I know the guy. Your gut feeling will always tell you the truth about someone, and mine was good about this dude.

4. He could agree to take a look at it. Which he did, of course!

And I was totally prepared to accept options 1-3 knowing that ASKing was hte only possible way I could get to option #4.

Heck, I was even nervous when I shipped him a copy. That nagging little voice again...."What if he hates it? What if he tells me it's the worst thing he ever saw? That I couldn't expect to sell it for a nickel?"

Once again, it took courage for me to insist that the Big Me silence the little me. And Big Me prevailed.

I reminded myself that this was inspired work. Creating something that will make a difference in people's lives is NEVER crap - regardless of how it may look. Any inspired action is put forth with purpose, and destined to succeed if it's creator will only persist to its fruition. I even reviewed The Success Method myself, which reminded me how wonderfully inspired it is.

Adn sure enough, I get this glowing review from the Great Joe Vitale.

Some would call me lucky. Fortunate. Blessed. But as I've said many times, we CREATE our own luck. If I had never asked, I would never know. And The Success Method site would certainly be less powerful.

So think about this...

What do you want that you are afraid to ask for? If you WERE to ask, what are all the possible outcomes of your asking? Are you willing to risk that any or all of those outcomes could happen? What are you waiting for? Go for it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Want to show your support for the info included in this blog? Make a contribution of any amount by clicking here.

<< Home