Saturday, June 17, 2006

Happy Father's Day

It seems to me that Father's Day has sort of evolved into something laughable - a day to honor silly, bumbling old dad - with a goofy tie, a cake, golf accessories, or some other such nonsense.

I can't help but recall that hilarious episode of The Cosby Show where Bill Cosby comes downstairs dressed in totally ridiculous fashion. When the family asks him what's up, he informs them that he is wearing every Father's Day gift he's ever received from them.

Suddenly, they stop laughing, wondering whether or not to be insulted.

In typical Bill Cosby fashion, he uses humor to lead into a poignantly-made point.

He tells them that this year, it ends.

No more silly gifts, no more handmade crap from kids old enough and well-allowanced enough to purchase something thoughtful, no more ridiculous stuff. This year, they are to put thought into what they buy for him.

And it works better than expected. He is literally moved to tears (I admit, I was too, and I'm sure audiences across the country teared up at this profound episode) by the thoughtfulness they put into this year's Father's Day gifts.

And of course, I've experienced the same thing myself, both with my father, and with the opportunity to buy a Father's Day gift for my husband, from our toddler.

Last year, I bought him a custom-made mousepad with a picture of our daughter on it. The picture was of her first trip to the beach. We were fortunate enough to capture her face on film (well, digital film) as she tasted a handful of sand for the first (and hopefully last) time. The picture was priceless.

He was so touched, he cried.

I couldn't beleive it - this $10 gift had moved him that much. I remember almost feeling embarrassed to give it to him - after all, we could certainly afford to spend a lot more on his gift. But when I got the idea, I couldn't put it out of my head, so I bought it.

And now, looking back, I can hardly believe I had considered buying him an iPod instaed. What a waste that would have been. Tossed aside like so many other "toys" and gadgets, doomed to the eventuality of obsolescence.

But it's been a year now and he still uses that mousepad daily.

So please, put some thought into what you give your dad this year. In fact, he'd probably rather have a card or letter telling him how much he means to you, more than anything. And I'm not talking about one of those Hallmark cards that "says it all for you." What a cop-out that is. I'm talking about a heartfelt letter from you, being authentic and laying it all out on the line, to him.

Now THAT would be a Father's Day gift worth keeping forever. And showcasing. And cherishing.

But maybe you're rather take the easy road and buy him some pajamas. Whatever, it's your life. How great do you want it to be?

QoD:
What is the single best memory you have of your father (or a father figure, if you never had a dad in your life)? Don't you think he'd love to hear about that from you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Want to show your support for the info included in this blog? Make a contribution of any amount by clicking here.

<< Home